Official Autism Diagnosis

In Washington State, a trained Speech & Language Pathologist may administer ASD assessments and documentation of results as part of a multidisciplinary team. 

Our testing is done by a trained and licensed SLP who can provide a provisional diagnosis of autism to those who qualify. 

A formal official diagnosis requires a Board Certified Neurologist, Board Certified Psychiatrist, Licensed Psychologist, Board Certified Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrician, or an ARNP/Licensed Physician associated with an autism center, developmental center, or center of excellence to concur with an ASD finding. 

If this diagnosis is desired, we have a couple of partnered providers who can provide a formal official diagnosis once testing is complete.

The Pros & Cons of a Formal Official Diagnosis of ASD

A diagnosis is often very validating for people to obtain. It can be a relief to learn there was a reason for various common issues you may have had when growing up. It can also be very helpful in determining what steps you can take to make life easier in general. 

However, depending on your age and desired purpose, a provisional autism diagnosis may be more beneficial for you than an official autism diagnosis. Before getting an official diagnosis, it is important to understand some of the common pros and cons of doing so.  


Possible access to DDA services.
Possible access to other state services that requires DDA access.

An official diagnosis is typically suggested for teens and adults who may have a difficult time holding down a full time job without the support of a job coach.


An official diagnosis can be a 'preexisting condition' for other medical needs. Insurance (life or medical) may see your official diagnosis as a higher risk factor and may deny you, charge you more, or make inaccurate assumptions about you. 

There are minimal supports available for adults with a new official diagnosis, especially if it is a later diagnosis and if you do not need a job coach to obtain/maintain employment. As you are not required to disclose your disability when are requesting accommodations, most accommodations can be accessed with a provisional diagnosis.